This and that

So I am into week 5 of my Turkish lessons and for the last 3 weeks have been given homework. The past 2 weeks we have been leaning ordinal numbers and cardinal numbers. To get me used to numbers and to learn them, he gave me Turkish telephone numbers. The British tend to say the number  individually, not so the Turks. A number like 0539 744 50 05 is given out as zero five hundred and thirty nine, seven hundred and forty four, fifty zero five. I really had to think about how to write it down or how to translate it from the spelling, but I tell you what, I now have no problem at all with counting anymore. I also think I finally have got my head around the vowel harmony, we have moved onto the endings of words for from at and in. I still can't hold a conversation but give it time and I'm sure I will.

This weekend, MHTTB and I drove to Finike, which is in between here and Antalya, the drive was beautiful, going via the coast road through Kas, Kalkan  Demre and finally into Finike. We went to meet his other aunties and cousins. Although there were times I felt quite ignorant, they were a fantastic, crazy bunch of people, and Auntie Gonul makes lots of preserves. These are actually tiny aubergine cooked over 3 days with water, sugar and cloves and they are delicious
At breakfast, she would put these out with other preserves she had made, along with cheeses, tomatoes, cucumber and honey. I took this photo of her making the bread this morning on the open fire, she was fascinating to watch and of course, she sent us home with some, along with a huge bag of oranges and lemons, some of which I am going to try and make preserves with myself. She only uses the skin of the citrus fruits and then rolls them up and threads them onto cotton to boil first to get rid of the bitterness.
 
Sunday we went off to Olympos. On the way the road was closed and we ended up having to go down the mountain via nothing more than a farm track. the road was awful and rutted and as we got closer to the bottom, it became narrower and narrower. I was too scared to take photo's as at some points we were on the edge of a cliff. Anyway we made it to the bottom, finally and had a wonderful day out. I will leave you with some of the photo's
Olympos
 
Aunties, Gonul and Sidika balancing on a log over the river






 
If you want to know more about Olympos, you can go Here
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hospitality

Customer service and other stuff

making a house a home