Firsts

There have been a few firsts this week. Ozlem came over on Saturday to teach me how to make borek, to cut a long story short, MHTTB and Ozlem ended up having 'words' and as MHTTB had had a few too many alcoholic beverages, it was left to me to take her home. MHTTB has a big Hyundai 6 seater van, it's a battered looking thing, but drives surprisingly well, in fact I have driven us to Dalyan and back in it. The thing is I don't like driving in Fethiye. Look at any dodgems at any fair ground and you get a rough idea of what driving in Fethiye is like, only worse. Luckily Ozlem decided to drive us to Fethiye. On the way home we got stopped by the police. The policeman's face was a picture when Ozlem wound down the window. She is a very attractive woman and he took one look and was smitten and quite surprised that this battered old van contained 3 women and no men. She asked Yagmur, her daughter to pass her over the driving license but the policeman just waved her on and sent us on our way. After a quick coffee with Ozlem I climbed into the van to make my own way home, alone. It was fairIly late so traffic was light and off I went and got myself home safely. I was well pleased with myself, I have no idea why, if I can drive about in London then really Turkey shouldn't be that much of a problem.

The next first was this
Yes, a postman came, but I wasn't in!! Just typical. I know who it's from but have no idea what it is as it was sent by a friend as a test to see if my post would get through. I have to go to the PTT to collect it tomorrow, judging by some of the posts of the Facebook ex pat forum, I won't count my chickens just yet as they seem to get dumped in a pile and most people going there are invited to 'search for yourself' For some reason I have 5 lire to pay, it can't be duty as the contents are worth £7 and there is a tax free allowance of 30 euros, so I am going to get MHTTB to ask tomorrow. It does make me hopeful that I will finally get my RP card, the GOC office will text when it's been dispatched and I haven't had the text yet so we will see. 

We have been having some gorgeous weather, it was 18 degrees here today, which is a lot warmer than I am used to in January so we have been going out and about. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hospitality

Customer service and other stuff

making a house a home