Happy New Year

With the smooth comes the rough, and with the rough comes the smooth. 2017 has in the most part been one of the best years of my life, but with that came the rough patches.

4 years ago, my very best friend died after a long term illness. I was devastated, but not as much as her mum Sheila. After Sharon's death, her Mum was a great comfort to me and I hope I was to her too. I have very happy and fond memories of Sheila as a teenager. Sharon and I used to pretend we were twins, and she would happily go along with it, in fact on one holiday, she went into great detail to a nosy camper about the trials and tribulations of having twin girls!! Her humour was amazing, we liked the Glitterband so she put a poster in a frame and kept it on her living room wall, she was far more approachable than my own mother, and was like a second Mum to me. In August, Sharon's daughter sent me a text to tell me Sheila was very ill. As my own father was in hospital at the time, this caused me a lot of sadness, ordinarily I would have high tailed it to Crewe to see her as she was not expected to live. Sadly I didn't get there. Somehow I found the time to drive up to her funeral. It was the least I could do, I took comfort that she was with her Sharon, but I miss her and will continue to do so.
Mumsey 2.


Then came my worst nightmare. My dad dying. I looked after my father for 9 years, after the death of my mum, but his health was failing, his attitude towards life dimishing. If you had asked me a year ago would you be living in Turkey, in a relationship, my answer would have been no. It was the furthest thing from my mind, but the decision for him to go to a nursing home in Devon was the best decision for him and this presented me with an opportunity I never ever considered. I confess, there are days when I am wracked with guilt. Did we do the right thing? Would he have died if he hadn't gone to Devon? Was that the straw that pushed him towards dying? Of course the answer to that is no. But even so, those things pop into my mind. My father dying was one of the worst things in my life, I amaze myself sometimes, that I can carry on as normal. Some days I suffer from a lethargy that paralises me, but I force myself to carry on
Dad with his great granddaughter 9 years ago




Of course, to counteract the negativity, something wonderful has happened. I am living in a beautiful county, I am with my MHTTB and his family have offered themselves up to me as my family also. Life is good and I know I have the support of my own family and my dad, if he were here.

So 2017 has been a mixed bag of extremes for me. My life has changed beyond all recognition from last year, and I am learning to embrace it. I spent New Years eve quietly with my Turkish family. I hope 2018 brings many happy things for me and them. Last year has seen the best and the worst.

So dear reader, I hope 2018 brings you great things, challenges and triumphs and good surprises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hospitality

Customer service and other stuff

making a house a home