In the beginning

I suppose it would be best to start where it all began, this little escapade to expatism. So here goes, it will be a very very long story short

Many years ago, I used to holiday regularly to Turkey, Olu Deniz to be exact.
1. Because it was beautiful and gorgeous
2. Because it was cheap and lastly, but by no means least, as it has a massive baring on this blog, is because I was in a casual relationship with one of the locals, whom I will call MHTTB (my handsome Turkish toy boy)
By 1998 it had all gone pear shaped, I was beginning to think there was more to holiday destinations than getting drunk, staying up all night and Zombie bar. 1999 saw me leave Turkey for the last time for a very long time and head off to Greece, Spain, Wales.............



In 2015 I ventured back to Turkey, mainly because a friend had a pressing need to go back and visit. The back packers had gone, the camping places has gone, the one strip of hotels had been replicated tenfold and went all the way back into the valley that had once been fields. It was a big shock to the system, I can tell you, but we had a nice time, met up with quite a few of the locals who remembered us, met their wives and children and generally had a nice time. Conversation turned to MHTTB, who by then, had married and then divorced, but I didn’t see him and went home happy that we had satisfied our curiosity.

2016 saw two major things happen. I sold a property I had been trying to sell for a year and I was offered redundancy and early retirement. It was a huge relief for me. I hated my job and the organisation, my elderly father, whom I live with was getting frailer, it seemed like a golden opportunity. Just before I left in October, I returned, with a different friend and a cousin to Olu Deniz.
By that time, I have found my MHTTB on Facebook and had been having the occasional chat, with a promise to look him up if/when I went back. I did send him a message, but got no response and thought no more about it.

One day we went on a boat trip. The captain, who I knew very well, asked about MHTTB, I said I had tried to contact him but he hadn’t responded, the next thing I knew, he was on his mobile phone and we were making arrangements to meet up.

No I wasn’t nervous, no I wasn’t thinking about picking up where we left off, I just met up with him and with my back up in tow, went to our hotel for dinner and had a marvellous evening. I made sure he went home early, said my goodbyes and nice to see you agains and went to my room to be confronted by my friend and cousin with ‘Oooh yous two still have chemistry, oooh he’s lovely’ blah blah blah, I kicked them out of my room and then smacked myself in the head, mainly because they were right!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hospitality

Customer service and other stuff

making a house a home