The family visit

It's been a crazy few days, MHTTB's Auntie came to visit from Izmir. There are different words for Aunt in Turkish, if she is your mothers sister she is Teyze if she is your fathers sister she is Hala, same for uncle, on your mothers side he is Dayi on your fathers side he is Amca. In this case, Fatma was Teyze. We went over Ozlems to see them and found the whole family there. The second day we went and picked them up and spent a nice afternoon at Calis beach and decided on the spur of the moment to come back to the apartment for a barby. Now my Turkish is almost non existant but some of the other family came over and they started playing a game called vampires. Everyone picks a piece of paper and you are either a peasant or a vampire. There are 2 vampires and everyone closes their eyes then the two vampires open them and then the others, after opening their eyes have to guess who the vampires are. A simple enough game, but it turned into raucous laughter. I didn't have a clue what was being said but I ended up laughing so much, the next morning I had pulled a few rib muscles. The following evening we went over MHTTB's brothers house for food and another game of Vampires. There is a greeting, for elder relatives. MHTTB would take his aunts hand kiss the top of the hand and then touch it to his forehead, I finally did this (after noticing) and she started joking around with me saying at long last. They always make me feel at ease, but I sometimes feel stupid, although I can be quite shy, I am not naturally a quiet person and sitting there not being able to join in makes me feel awkard. I must stress to you, this is how I make myself feel and not his family.


Yesterday Teyze Fatma was moving on to her brother at Seydiker for a few days, so we went along stopping off at Saklikent Gorge on the way. We were very lucky, the gorge is not usually open at this time of the year as it can be dangerous if there has been heavy rain, or at this time of the year, snow, but a film crew were there and for a small 6tl entrance fee they allowed us into the canyon.

The walkway along the canyon is a lot improved, many years ago, when I went, it was a precarious walk along some rotten planks without any guard rails, so yesterday was my first time in!! You can go further, but it's not recommended if you are not fit or can't swim. Look on any trip advisor reviews for Saklikent gorge and you will see lots of reviews of people not going prepared. If you do visit in the summer and want to go further into the canyon, take heed, it can get rammed packed, the water is freezing and fast flowing and you WILL get wet, oh and don't take your baby (Really, read trip advisor}early morning or late afternoon are the best time to visit during the summer season to avoid all the day trippers. Yesterday we were very very lucky to be allowed in and it was a fantastic treat.

From there, it was a spectacular drive onto Seydiker to see MHTTB's Amca (Pronounced Um-Ja) Their way of life is a typical village one, I remembered his uncle from a visit over 20 years ago when he had a barbers shop, he now has tomato greenhouses, where before we left, were allowed to enter and pick tomatoes Lemons and Oranges to bring home. On the land beside his house, are the ruins of the house they were born in. MHTTB remembered sleeping on a bed next to the kitchen
On arrival, Amca's wife spread a table cloth on the floor, and treated us to cheese and parsley filled pancakes and home made Ayran (which is watered down yoghurt, usually drunk with some salt added)
We all sat on the floor and stuffed our faces and as another treat, not only did we leave with carrier bags full of tomatoes, Lemons and Oranges she also baked us all a loaf of village bread to bring home. We left Teyze Fatma there with the promise of a visit to Izmir soon. MHTTB really does have a lovely family

As a funny side note, I don't know if I mentioned it in another blog, but a few months ago we needed a chimney installed. MHTTB's friend came, gave us a price, took the money and that was the last we saw of him. I ended up paying someone else to install a chimney Yesterday on our way to Saklikent, MHTTB started tooting his horn and pulled over quickly, there on the side of the road, looking surprised and very sheepish was the 'friend' who took my 500 lire for a walk. He came to the side window, and I decided to say nothing and let MHTTB deal with it. Apparently I am going to get the money back on Friday, but for obvious reasons I won't be holding my breath..........................


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hospitality

Customer service and other stuff

making a house a home