Wow what a week

Well at the weekend, myself and MHTTB had our first major domestic, and yes it's all cool now, but it got me thinking. In my British life I have always been independent but since I have been over here I have had to rely on MHTTB to drive me around, speak for me and generally hold my hand. This is just not me at all. I decided on Tuesday, as it will be a while until I can purchase a car, I would hire one for 2 months and get myself out there alone and driving. As I may or may not have mentioned, a lot (but not all) Turkish drivers are down right dangerous. Red light? Pah check the coast is clear and ignore it! The driver in front dared to hesitate a nano second after the light changed green? Ha TOOT TOOT TOOT, indicators? What are indicators? quite literally you need eyes up your arse bottom. So with that in mind, it was tempting to carry on being needy, but I contacted a car hire company instead. I got a good deal on a Fiat Albea at £550 for 2 months, the morning of delivery, they turned up with the Fiat but it was faulty so they asked if they could bring it back the next morning. Then they turned up with this
 A Renault Clio, they upgraded the car free of charge because they couldn't get the Albea going. Result. I have taken myself off to the supermarket and almost into Fethiye (my nemesis, but so was the M25 once) It's a nice drive, but after driving MHTTB's van and a Vauxhall Meriva it feels a little low to the ground, but I will get used to it.

I started Turkish lessons this morning. He seems a very patient sort and a 2 hour lesson, in a nice cafe, beside the sea was very relaxing. I have been using Babbel, but he could stop and explain things to me and he actually simplified the vowels so that I could understand. I have my next one on Tuesday. I was crap at learning French at school, but this is different, I WANT to learn, and despite quite a bit of negativity (Turkish  is a hard language to learn, Oh it's so hard learning a new language in your 50's) I am sure I will get along fine.

It seems, the guy we paid to do the maintenance has been pulling a fast one. Last year he was asked to produce accounts on what he had been spending the maintenance fees on and couldn't. He did admit he paid himself 23,000 tl for the year. As the total sum received from the 12 properties totalled 30,000 it was quite a surprise to find he allowed just 7,000 tl to pay a gardener, buy pool chemicals, do day to day maintenance and pay the communal electric bill. People  on site were not happy, and after not seeing hide nor hair of him since October, neither was I. The pool was meant to be emptied, the pool needed grouting, the pool room, below ground, has a massive crack in the wall that urgently needed repair. The owners who used this place as a holiday home, trusted him. He became very friendly with MHTTB, telling him this one couldn't be trusted, that one couldn't be trusted and now we know, it was him who couldn't be trusted. Now we are busy trying to get quotes from maintenance companies. That way we will at least get itemised bills, which is only right and above board. Myself and the Turkish family living on site all year have had to change locks, repair the lawn mower, cut the grass. The gardener he employed is quite poor and I have paid him for a days work, but I can't keep doing it. I have had to get MHTTB to explain to him, that it is Husayn he should be asking for money as we have already paid up until July. It's a sad turn out but it will get sorted out.

The balcony has been extended, I asked them to use decking on all of it so it is all one level, they have allowed us to be able to lift it up so we can wash the tiles underneath. This is the men in action

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

making a house a home

Hospitality

Customer service and other stuff